Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Multiple Choice for the Absent Minded

Here are multiple suggestions for those of you who might now and then store things in the oven.

A. Never be so foolish as to store anything in the oven that you do not want to accidentally heat to 350 or more.
B. If you occasionally store things in the oven, Be Sure to check the oven before turning it on.
C. Always store things in the oven. That way you will always remember to check before heating.
D. All of the above.

Ummmm, I think I ruined one of my oven racks. I was using the warmth of the oven light to dry a thin layer of sourdough starter on my very, very favorite plastic type cutting board. I Never store things in the oven for I generally have plenty of cupboard space. This means that on those rare occasions when I do have something in the oven, I fail to check before heating. Aaaarrghhhh! The cutting board is slightly melted down over the oven rack. Right now it is cooling in the back yard. Maybe, just maybe, when cool, the warped and ruined cutting board will "pop" right off the steel rack. Maybe. But I'm not holding my breath.

And the sourdough starter that I was drying? Deader than a doornail. Fortunately, I have other starter in the fridge.

3 comments:

Renna said...

Ack! I can so relate. I've never actually ruined anything that way, but I have reheated many a frying skillet with oil in it by preheating the oven and not thinking to first check inside it.

I do hope your cutting board does 'pop' loose!

Renna said...

PS-You might check at a thrift store for an oven rack. I have seen them there before, though I realize the odds mayb be against finding one that will fit your oven.

WhiteStone said...

Fortunately the plastic had melted only slightly and did not encircle the wires of the rack. When it cooled, it popped right off, leaving the rack clean and 'like new'.