Thursday, April 29, 2010

Whereupon I Agree That Mr. Keillor is One Wise Fellow

I noticed today that the lilacs are in bloom. Lavender. White. Purple. They're blooming. The tulips are about done. The daffs, too. My flower beds are calling for me to come out and play do some early weeding.

After a winter of such deep snow it is good to hear lawn mowers, to see Janice down the street digging amongst the flowers in her front yard, to see the young dad next door digging out a dead shrub and setting in a new one. I think he's wasting his time. The dead shrub is dead because his dog peed on it. And I'm certain his dog will pee on the new one, too. I'm just glad they keep him on a long leash while he is outdoors. He can roam his own yard but he can't reach our shrubs. Our shrubs look healthy. So far.

I'm thinking the rhubarb must be just about ready to pick. The problem is that we don't have any growing in our yard. Our friend Tim has a rental house around the corner and down the street and I'm certain the renters don't use the rhubarb. So I think I'll ask if he minds if I pick some.

For more on rhubarb (pie, crisp, sauce, jam) you can check out what Rebecca has to say over at her blog, Rebecca Writes. She mentions 8 ways and more to eat rhubarb! With links to recipes!

Yep. Have to get me some rhubarb! I need me some Bebop-A-Reebop Rhubarb Pie. (That Garrison Keillor guy is one wise fellow!)

.

10 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Send that dog down here. I've got some plant like thing I've been trying to kill for 5 years.

S. Etole said...

Picked my first rhubarb Monday ... such a great spring treat.

CorvusCorax12 said...

can't wait for our lilac to bloom and my neighbor has tons of rhubarb I'm aloud to pick :). Great time of year

Debby said...

Oh, I get such a kick out of Garrison Keillor!

gvandyk said...

I love this time of year too. I have a purple and a white lilac bush along with a flowering crab tree. They were all in bloom at the same time this year making my front yard quit colorfull. It is great that God created color and gave man the eyes to see it, displaying the greatness of His glory. I plan on picking rhubarb soon and make a sause for yellow cake. I do not do pie crust so that is how I enjoy my rhubarb. Rhubarb is a blessing from God.

Kelly said...

You know, I'm not sure if I've ever eaten rhubarb! I might have had some pie once.....

Karen said...

Love those lilacs, and I think I'll go outside right now and cut some small branches for a beautiful and fragrant bouquet! Enjoy this time of year!

Sarah Gracen said...

I enjoy seeing all the Tulips Daffodils and such blooming
in our yard but I'd like to know
a thing of two about keeping the Tulips alive it's not easy

Unknown said...

Oh, rhubarb, yum! Nothing beats a pie smothered with sugar over the warm top ...

Have a great weekend.
TTFN ~ Hugs of love, Marydon

Anonymous said...

I'm one of the few people in my family that actually likes rhubarb pie. I'll have to check our local market and buy one. Yummy!