Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Of How I Admire Some Real-Life Heroines

My friend, Daria, lives in Canada. I don't even know where in Canada... locations up in the north country are about as indistinguishable to me as are "Ohio and Iowa" to my California friends. However, if I ever decide to drive there I could easily check a map and then I'd have it! Once I see it on a map it's in my brain...except chemo brain sometimes does a short-circuit routine on me. Sigh!

But I digress.

I met Daria in the early days of my ovarian cancer. I met her by way of the internet. When I was diagnosed in January 2009 I began roving the net, looking for information about the disease, about my statistical chances of remission (slim), cure (none), long life (pretty iffy). And I began looking for others who are also dealing with cancer. Even when our cancers are different we share experiences. We become friends.

So I've been following Daria's blog for quite a while now. She's one of my Heroines. I sure would enjoy sitting over a cuppa coffee with her in person. But instead, I visit her daily at her blog Living With Cancer.

Today Daria posted that she was asked by womansday.com to write a short article to promote breast cancer awareness. You can read about Daria Maluta and four other women who have blogged about their walk with breast cancer along with links to their particular blogs at the Woman's Day website here.

Did you know 1 in every 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer?
Did you know 1 in every 71 women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer?
Not to mention all the other cancers out there.
Cancer is no respecter of age.
And ain't any of it fun.

These women are gritty and courageous and the ones who reach out and help others are my Heroines for certain!

Now...go read what Daria had to say.

.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks so much for sharing this with us, WhiteStone.

Daria said...

I sure wish the world was just a bit smaller and we could have that cuppa coffee together.

Thanks for the post!

Lovella ♥ said...

I have a real life heroine that I am currently willing to win her battle. She was diagnosed just recently and is already the bravest woman I've ever met. I always wonder. ..how would I cope. I guess we just don't know until we are met with such a diagnosis.
I do admire you so much for having the courage to share what you are experiencing.
PS. .I think you look just as lovely as A. Cooper. .. and I will not complain that tomorrow is my hair washing day.

Cheryl said...

WhiteStone thank you for sharing your thoughts. The benefits of blogging, and the support network are far reaching.
Now I will go read what your friend Daria had to say to Woman's Day.....

Nancy's Point said...

You know it's funny, I already "know" all of these women since I have read their blogs and I have only been blogging a bit over a month myself. They are all inspiring. I love this online community of supporters. Thanks for your thoughts.

Relyn Lawson said...

I love that. Real life women. Yes. Women out there every day loving and serving and living full, beautiful lives.

elaine @ peace for the journey said...

Just checking in with you; in a bit of a rough patch over here. The chemo is accumulating and I feel like a wet dishrag, ok, maybe a dried up one. Hanging on and pushing through. Prayers for you tonight...

peace~elaine