Saturday, June 7, 2008

I've Been Saving Money Like Crazy!!!

I've been able to save a lot of money over the past couple weeks! However, each time the saving has been on behalf of OTHER people and not for myself. Still...it's been rather fun and finding treasure for someone else is almost as much fun as finding it for yourself.

Case #1 - I was able to help a relative retrieve $1400 taken from their bank account by a scam artist.
Case #2 - I was able to help a young teen friend sell an item on eBay to earn money for church camp this summer.
Case #3 - While helping at a yard sale I was looking through books that my friend had for sale. Inside one I found an envelope that contained three U.S.Savings Bonds that had been purchased in 1993. Those bonds are worth a total of about $275 to her three children. Was I surprised! And so was she!
Case #4 - Periodically I check out the Great Iowa Treasure Hunt. Along with my own name I check names of friends, neighbors, relatives. I was able to call my sister-in-law and tell her that her former employer, Gateway Computers, owed her $75 in wages. The money is sitting there waiting for her to fill out a form.
Case #5 - Thanks to our notifying friends and neighbors about the debit card scam we experienced, a friend spotted an unauthorized withdrawal from his bank account and was able to retrieve the money. If you haven't read about this fraudulent scheme in my previous blog post, click here! And be sure to check your own bank and credit card statements for unauthorized withdrawals. The crooks are working overtime.

Not a bad haul! Even if I never pocketed a dime for myself.
Said with a wide grin on my face.
.

No comments: