Monday, February 18, 2008

Cooking BROWN RICE the EASY WAY without Resorting to an Electric Steamer


Here's a simple and perfect way to cook brown rice. I've tried several ways of cooking it. I've used a basic saucepan atop the stove and I once owned and used an electric steamer. The saucepan leaves too much to error for you have to simmer it on very low heat and on my electric range it is difficult to adjust to just the right heat. That method requires careful watching and its a nuisance of a way to cook the rice.

I also used to use a plastic steamer and when it quit working I decided I no longer wished to use plastic in cooking. (I don't use plastic anymore to either cook or store foods.) I purchased one of the larger units that looks somewhat like a crockpot in shape. Steam and starch fizzled up around the edges of the lid, making for a messy cleanup. Took that unit back to the store.

Then I stumbled upon this method. Its soooo easy and the rice cooks to perfection. You will need a large stainless steel pot or pan with a steam insert deep enough to place a glass pyrex bowl in the steamer and still get the lid on the pan.

Put about 1.5 inches of water in the pan and bring to a simmer. In the bowl place 1 cup of rice and about 1-1/3 cups water. Simply place that bowl in the steamer, cover with the lid. Set the timer for 45-55 minutes and let the gentle simmer produce steam that will cook that rice to perfection. Towards the end you can stir the rice with a fork.

This works also if you want to flavor your rice with chicken stock or with a few choice veggies. Or you can replace the water with canned tomatoes or salsa. Just be sure this provides enough liquid by adding water if necessary to the mix.

Enjoy!

No comments: