Sunday, February 24, 2008

How to Cook Up Some of Those Extra Pears



We're eating away on that box of pears I mentioned earlier. There are only two of us and you can only eat so many pears a day! But here's a recipe I tried tonight that is easy and tasty. The recipe uses minimal sugar and is actually from a pear pie recipe but I wanted to avoid eating the crust and figured, "Aha! This should work well in a casserole bowl!" And it did. I think next time I'll double the lemon juice to add a bit more tartness. Otherwise, this is a tasty pear sauce.

I called it Oven Pears.

5 or 6 pears peeled, cut into chunks.
1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar (I used 1/3)
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1-1/2 T quick-cooking tapioca
3 T orange juice
1 tsp lemon juice
1 T butter.

Put pears in pyrex baking dish.
Mix dry ingredients and sprinkle over pears.
Mix orange and lemon juice and pour over.
Stir gently with spoon to mix.
Dabble with 1 T butter, cut in pieces and placed over top of pears.

Cover with lid, bake at 350 about 1 hour.

No comments: