Wednesday, March 26, 2008

It's Time in My Life to Downsize


My neighbor holds the best yard sales! Sometimes twice each summer. Her grown daughters must hire U-Hauls when they visit from across the state for much of the clothing, etc., seems to be theirs. Tables and tables. And there is always one very long table for ten-cent items. I found this New Home sewing machine on that ten-cent table. I grabbed it faster than you can blink an eye. The funny thing is that this was at the end of the day and this "treasure", if you can call it that and some do, still sat unsold.

I figured for ten cents I'd have a piece of garden art. However, this little machine, with all its attachments and its original instruction book, still works. And I cannot simply set it in the garden to simply turn to rust.

It is a treadle machine and needs a treadle base. I thought perhaps I might fortuitously run across such a base sometime in my yard saling but I have not. The machine sits on a shelf in the basement awaiting rejuvenation by me or some future owner.

I'm not quite ready to give up on it. Maybe THIS summer I'll find a treadle base and I can take a soapy cloth and some WD-40 and make this gem look ALmost as good as new.

As for the Singer 201 in the background? It's one of my favorite machines...an excellent straight-stitch machine that I bought at a friend's sale a dozen years ago. I've named this one Leona after it's former owner. It sat in my sewing room for many years and has pieced many a quilt. However, I've downsized my sewing room to TWO machines (my Singer 403a and a Singer 15-91). I can't bring myself to get rid of the 201 for I may yet again use it.

Maybe I'll wait till Next Year to downsize.

No comments: