Thursday, February 5, 2009

What I'm Reading

Picked up a book that my beloved has been reading and am enjoying it immensely. "The Reformation: How a Monk and a Mallet Changed the World by Stephen J. Nichols gives a clear overview of the Reformation from the time of Martin Luther (and before) through the Puritan era.

The book by Crossway is written clearly and neatly and easy enough for me to understand. I like history anyway, so this is right up my line...not that I'm going to retain names, dates, etc., but I get the gist of the book...that the Reformation brought the church back to the bottom-line basic of the gospel of the Cross of Christ. If we forget the gospel, the church has left its moorings and we must always come back to the redemption offered by Christ at the Cross.

A funny thing...the second part of the title is printed on the cover in an old English script and I glanced at it several times and thought it said "How a Monk and a WALLET Changed the World", mistaking the M for a W. Silly me.

3 comments:

Paula said...

Sounds like a great book. And, an "f" looks like an "s" in old English script!! Totally confusing!!

I've missed your posts this past week, great to "see" you back where you belong!!

Renna said...

The book sounds like an interesting read. The last line you wrote sounded familiar; I frequently do that. ;-Þ

cinnamongirl93 said...

Ha! I might of read the same thing you did. What a name for a book!
Enjoy your read.