Sunday, July 19, 2009

Take-Two on Global Warming In My Own Backyard

I commented on the so-called global warming January 15 when we hit a new overnight low temp of minus 20 degrees Fahrenheit for that date here in western Iowa. You can click here to read what I wrote in January. I also mentioned the fact that Iowa has experienced several glacial ice-ages with glaciers moving down from the north and covering much of Iowa in acknowledging that climate does indeed change.

I didn't plan it (I promise I had nothing to do with it!) but it appears we are having an exceptionally cool summer. The middle of July feels more like the middle of June.

And not a soul in town is complaining.

Yes, yes, I know the "new" term is "climate change". Well, I am not ancient in terms of climate time, but even in my short span of years I notice that we experience climate change all the time. We've had drought cycles where the corn dried dead by early August. Then we go through several years of above-average moisture. Then we do the drought scene again. One summer will have a horrific number of days with temps above 100 F and another summer will never see 100 degrees. Every year is different. And this year is cooler. And I have to continue in my belief that "global warming" is a huge political thing that has no basis in real honest-to-goodness scientific fact.

By the way...the forecast for the next ten days, which will take us nearly to the end of July, includes highs in the 80s with only ONE day reaching a high of 90 degrees. That is exceptionally cool for us! Nighttime temps will range from 53 to 64 degrees. This is COOL, People! Way Cool! Our great-grandparents would have loved to see this weather in the 1930s! (The ten-day forecast has changed since I wrote this yesterday. To "cooler". In the next ten days we are not expected to have temps higher than 86 degrees. Overnight lows will hover around 62 degrees. This is definitely not typical July weather for Iowa.)

Global Warming. Bah, Humbug!

4 comments:

blushing rose said...

Bah! Humbug! AMEN!!! What a bunch of hokey ... TY for your post. TTFN ~ Marydon

Scott said...

Absolutely right!

Daria said...

Here in Edmonton(Alberta)our weather has been wacky too ... cooler than the norm.

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I'm so hot I can hardly stand it!!!!! We had an exceptionally cold winter, and a very cool spring, but when the heat came, it came full force!!!!! On top of that, I'm on the Arimidex for the breast cancer, which makes me sweat like crazy!!!! I'm keeping ice packs with me at all times! Wacky weather is right!