Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Little House in the Big Woods


I think that Laura Ingalls Wilder would have loved my version of the Little House in the Big Woods. When I spotted this little ceramic house at a yard sale last year I knew it belonged in my flower garden.

As for the Little House books, they were a favorite part of my life in fifth grade. That was decades ago. Actually, it feels as if it were eons ago but I recognize that "eons" would make me ancient indeed, so I'll stick with decades.

Our fifth grade teacher, Mrs. Hattie Linden, was a brusque no-nonsense woman. She was tall and in appearance somewhat resembled Eleanor Roosevelt. She insisted on decorum in her classroom, she was fair to all, and she taught us well. Each day after noon recess she would quiet our exuberance by having us put our heads down on our desks or sit quietly while she spent 15 or 20 minutes reading to us. First from the Laura Ingalls Wilder books and when those were completed, she went on to read about fur trappers Jedediah Smith and Kit Carson, and other adventurers of the Old West. She seemed to love reading to us. And we loved listening.

Thank you, Mrs. Linden. From the bottom of my heart.
.
.

1 comment:

cinnamongirl93 said...

What a great shot of your "little house". Laura Ingalls Wilder is one of my all time favorite reads! About 15 years ago I came across another book that contained more of her writings. She wrote articles for a Farm magazine. I don't remember the name of it. I will have top go look for it. Another book, "I Remember Laura" by Stephen Hines is a book of memories from her family and friends. It even has recipes! It's a great read!
BTW thank you for visiting my blog! You always have interesting things to share. Normally I answer each comment but I don't have your e-mail.