Saturday, December 13, 2008

I'll Never Make it on My Own!

A recent lesson to my ladies was on 'imputation'. If you find that a strange word, you can read my previous post here (and you will understand who my ladies are as well.)

In teaching this group of ladies (some new faces, some old faces) I repeatedly take them to John 6:37-40. (you can put your cursor on the verses to read them....isn't that cool!!!)

There is a surety in these verses. And the surety is in what Jesus does, and not in what we do. In John 6:37 we read that it is the Father who gives us (those who are among the redeemed) to Christ. In verse 39 Jesus reassures us that of all those that the Father gives to the Son, not a single one will be lost. Jesus affirms this in verse 40 by stating that He Himself "will raise him up on the last day".

That surety, that sureness, that assuredness is repeated in John 10:28, 29 where Jesus promises that no one can take His own away from Him, neither from His hand nor from the Father's hand. As believers, we rest in the assurance that it is God who does the saving...we do not. Indeed, we cannot. It is His work, not ours. Paul explains it in Ephesians 2:10 by telling us that we are His workmanship. It is God working in us, not us working in us.

If I count on my own good works, I'll never get there. I can't. I'll never get "good enough". But if it is God working in me that gives me spiritual life, eternal life, then I can be reassured that God will complete what he has begun. You can read that in Philippians 1:6. And that, as they say, is Good News!!

No comments: