Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Tonight's Topic

An email buddy reminded me that I am a "petunia in the onion patch". She was commenting on my having grown up in the midst of four brothers and she maintains this contributed greatly to my (slightly quirky) personality. I like her blame of my brothers...takes the responsibility off my own shoulders. heh-heh

It is more probably, however, that genetics play the major role. I remember my paternal aunts and I've met other members of my father's family and I recognize myself in them. Genes. My conclusion is if I'm a Petunia it's because there were a lot of Petunias on my dad's side of the family. (My brothers are still onions, though!)

Seriously...today's post is not about genes, or brothers, or onions. It's about word definition. And today's word is IMPUTATION. So if you came here looking for a quilt lesson, or a post on how to make sourdough bread or kamut pancakes, forget it. Today's post is deeper than that.

I'm putting together a lesson on "imputation" for my ladies. I call them 'my ladies' for they constitute the ever-rotating class that a friend and I teach in a nearby jail. I call them 'my' because I have great affection for them. And I call them 'ladies' again because of my affection for them. My Ladies.

The class rotates. That means we have new women every week. Some are with us for only a couple sessions. Some are with us for months. So we struggle to be able to aim the study time towards both. We want to be able to present the Gospel itself as clearly as possible (Gospel/good news -- God sent Jesus to redeem the lost - Colossians 1:13). And we want to be able to present deeper truths as well. Some have some Bible background. Others have never opened a Bible and have no clue as to who is Moses? Abraham? Isaac? Jacob? Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul? Do you see our dilemna in selecting a class topic?

Tonight...IMPUTATION is the topic. You can read a short definition with scriptural references with Part One here and Part Two here.

Basically, that article states this...

The Biblical doctrine of imputation is threefold.
1) The sin of Adam was imputed to all his race.
2) The sin of God's elect was imputed to Christ.
3) The righteousness of Christ is imputed to believers in Him
Romans 5:12-21; 2 Corinthians 5:21; Romans 4:5-8

Imputation is a basic doctrine, a basic truth of the Bible. And as a basic doctrine, it is indeed understandable, even to women who are new to scripture.

That's Good News! That's the Gospel! (1 Corinthians 15:3-4) (Romans 10:13)

1 comment:

cinnamongirl93 said...

That's great teaching Petunia! grinning.....