Saturday, September 12, 2009

Some Things May Never Be Explained!

Credit Card Fraud has hit us again. This time we were charged $17.96 (TEN TIMES IN ONE DAY) for something called EDC*EDIETS-SERVICE. (We had never heard of this company before this problem.)

We found the fraud quite by accident. Hubby just happened to check our statement online and found these ten charges made the day before and immediately called the card's fraud department.

I've googled and there is Nothing in regard to this company itself being the scammer. There are a few disgruntled customers, but no reports of actual fraud.

We've used this particular card only a handful of times and we're careful to never let the card out of our sight so as to avoid "skimmers". We shred receipts. We're somewhat careful using the card online. (The only SURE way online is to AVOID online purhases and payments.)

Our anti-virus program finds our computer clean.

So...did some previous purchase result in our card number being handed over to some crook? Or is it possible that some glitch in the system hit us? We may never know.

At any rate, the card is cancelled.

3 comments:

Elle Bee said...

Oh my goodness, I can't believe credit card fraud has struck you again! What a headache. Thank you for posting this though so we can all be more aware of what is happening out there. I want to go check my statements right now.
Elle

Debra said...

I'm going to do the same....all this stuff makes me very discouraged...But I sure do thank you for the advice you gave me. I intend to use it. I'm going to pray for your current problem. It's so scary.
Love, Debra

Diane said...

I use my debit card for everything, and have for years without a problem.

However, I watch the account like a hawk. It's a matter of a minute to log into my acounts and look at the activity for the last day or so.

I've found the customer service helpful (Couldn't find my debit card early one morning (at the checkout after breakfast, of course) called the bank to start things in motion to cancel the card, and find out if I had to close the account - the CSR suggested they put a hold on my account - no new charges - until I could go home that night and search there for the card, which I did find- saved a huge headache).

Just like with health care, we need to be our own advocates and do our own checking.