Monday, October 26, 2009

Just 15 Minutes More Snooze!!! PuhLeeze?!

Hey, Moms! Are your kids getting to bed on time? I ask that question after reading a magazine interview with Po Bronson, writer of Nurture Shock,. The author mentions things that parents sometimes do wrong but which they can easily correct.

Among other topics, the author Bronson discusses Sleep! He says that kids today get a full hour less sleep than their parents did at their age. That's probably not surprising. We live hectic lives and our busyness is compounded by today's use of electronic devices and games of all kinds.

But here is what startled me in reading the review! Bronson maintains that for every 15 minutes' less sleep, there is a correlated drop in grade point average. He says "A" students get 15 minutes more sleep than "B" students, who themselves get 15 minutes more than "C" students. What this means is that when a sixth grader gets an hour less sleep he performs more like a fourth grader.

So, Today's Tip? Get your kids to bed on time! Try it for six weeks and see what happens!


.

6 comments:

Diane said...

Eh. I think I need to take that advice. I perform much better at work when I consistently have at least 7.5 hours of actual time asleep (as opposed to laying there wondering if it is time to get up)

Michelle @ Give a Girl a Fig said...

That is amazing information. My oldest is 14 and has always been a great sleeper...and he's a straight A student...even in high school. My 11 year old is not so good a sleeper...often times having the worst time falling asleep. And his grades are a bit lower...hmmm...I don't know what to do about that. He gets to bed on time...he just can't get to sleep. Poor guy...

Karen said...

This is great advice. But did the article give any tips about how we are to get the little buggers to go to bed?!? That's the hardest thing for me to do, especially with my 13-year-old daughter!

Daria said...

I'm a big believer in the value of sleep ... especially for children.

Dorothy said...

Important info here, Whitestone. I am with Daria. I've always believed in the restorative value of sleep so its good to see my belief confirmed.

And I love that picture of the kitten in the hammock!! So cute!!

Kelly said...

I was a pretty mean mom when it came to bedtimes. It got harder to enforce with two of them as they got older. The other LOVED bedtime and wasn't going to skimp on her rest. She's a senior in college now and STILL won't sit up too late unless she can sleep in to compensate.