Sunday, May 18, 2008

A Rant About Sharks and Dangerous Things

Pardon me while I go on a rant. I'm a Grandmother and certain things irk me!

I saw it again today. Two little neighbor girls playing outdoors in the skimpiest of bikinis. Their brothers were wearing knee-length trousers and tee-shirts. The girls were almost un-clothed in comparison.

Don't you know that you parents are the ones who are causing your young daughters to be sexualized at a young age?! You are in charge! You are responsible! And since you ARE in charge and you ARE responsible I have a question to ask you!

Why is it that parents of young girls allow their daughters to wear the skimpiest of strings to the swimming pool while at the same time the young boys are wearing swim trunks almost long enough to cover their knees? Boys are dressing like little boys while your little girls are dressing like some Hollywood femme fatale. Don't you have a clue that eyes are watching your young female children?

You think I'm old-fashioned, don't you! Just because I'm old enough to have gray hair (actually it's white) you think I'm too old to have a clue about anything "young".

Well, here's my viewpoint about scantily clad young girls. And unclothed boys and girls, too, for I've seen you parading your unclothed toddlers for hours at the beach as if you are proclaiming loudly how liberated you are from today's mores and admonishing the rest of us for our judgmental attitudes. All the while you blithely ignore that amongst the rest of the beach crowd there are perverts gleefully voyeuring your unclothed or under-clothed child whom you are supposed to be protecting. And while you are reveling in the beauty of your young offspring romping in the sunshine, your child is within range of the local beach cabins where some pervert is likely to be using his telescope lens to create himself a little movie video for later enjoyment.

My viewpoint? Put some clothes on them! Teach your daughters that modesty is appropriate whenever she is in public. Little boys seem to know that. You don't see THEM wearing skimpy bikinis, do you? Remember that you are the protector. There are human sharks out there and it is your job to be on guard. So do your job!

This is a Grandmother speaking!
.

No comments: