Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hopes that Ignore All of Human History

Today Defense Secretary Robert Gates spoke to the graduating class of the United States Military Academy at West Point.

I read this news article today and the following statement by Gates jumped out at me...

"After each war, we always hope we have fought the final war, the war to end all wars," he said. "I believe that such hopes ignore all of human history."

Gates hit the nail on the head. All of human history reveals the evil within the human heart. While we live in this world with wickedness all around us, we will need brave young men and women in our armed forces. And we pray for God's blessing upon us, whether at war or in peace.

1 comment:

Angoraknitter said...

Oh that's so much better than the speaker my husband's class (and me too) had to listen to. His class was stuck with Al Gore :(

I'm glad it was Gates at West Point today.