Sunday, May 17, 2009

Why Did the Watermelon Cross the Road?


Our daughter and grandson drove 293 miles one-way this weekend to join the rest of us in celebrating another grandson's high school graduation. Five hours can be a long time on the road. To pass the time they counted the number of critters that met their demise on the highway. Springtime must cause them to venture forth into hazardous territory...the highways and byways! Poor things! We were amazed at the total roadkill tally!

Bird - 14
Rabbit - 7
Raccoon - 3
Pheasant - 3
Cat - 1
Squirrel - 1
Skunk - 1
Goose - 1
Watermelon - 1
Unidentified flattened animal - 25

So why did the watermelon cross the road?
To get to the other side, of course!
Everybody knows that!

(Romans 8:22 -- Death has come into all of creation because of Adam's sin. Even the animal kingdom suffers until the day when the earth shall be made new again.)

4 comments:

Laurie M. said...

That's a fun game, kind of. The older I get the sappier I get. I almost came apart at the seams on our last road trip when we saw a big tortoise on its back dead on the side of the road. (Those are not native to CA as far as I know.) I still have to be careful not to picture it in my mind or think about it for more than a second or I'll choke up. It's so sad how creation groans because of us.

The second most unusual roadkill I've seen is a porcupine. It was in Oregon or Idaho. We see lots of skunks, possums, and raccoons around here. Can't say I've ever seen a watermelon though.

Debra said...

A very interesting list, indeed!!!
Wonder if some smart crow had a watermellon breakfast?
Debra

Forrest said...

Better watch out for the PETA folks!

cinnamongirl93 said...

Waht an interesting game. My question is how did the watermelon come to it's sad demise?