Saturday, May 23, 2009

Today I Thought to Myself, "Alcohol Is My Friend!"

Hah! If you've been following my blog you may be a bit startled at the title above for it doesn't quite fit "Me".

My blood counts are down again due to the chemo. Especially my white blood counts. That means my immune system is low and I've been trying to avoid crowds. But one cannot sit in the house like a recluse 24/7. And so when I am out and about and when I return to the car I automatically reach for the bottle of alcohol lotion for my hands.

Today as I left the grocery store parking lot I thought to myself..."Alcohol is my friend." But that doesn't make me an alcoholic. She said with a grin.

4 comments:

Laurie M. said...

I was reading about food-borne illnesses not long ago - the kind folks pick up at weddings, on cruise ships, etc. The article mentioned, in passing, that the folks who consumed an alcoholic beverage with their contaminated meals were far less likely to get sick, or be as sick as those who did not. Of course I'm not promoting intoxication, agreeing that alcohol kills germs.

Debra said...

Hello!
I wanted to tell you that I found Rachel's link here-listened to it spellbound, and came away changed forever. A lot of things fell into perspective for me. We ARE all dying-some of us know when-but beside making the choice to live for Jesus, there is also a choice to be made to really LIVE for Him day by day.

I feel honored to know you.

Love, Debra

Debra said...

P.S. I don't want to leave the impression that I have a disease and I'm dying from it-I think I am healthy-I only meant that as humans we are all dying, and there isn't any escape from it!! Thankfully, we have a clear choice where to spend eternity. I think Rachel's video says it amazingly better than I ever could.
Debra

Cornfield Quilter said...

First I want to thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. It has been a while since I have done so and I need to spend time again with my blogging friends. Today is my daughters birthday, she would have been 38. We lost her 12years ago to Leukemia. Her son is now 17 and looks so much like her, how proud she would be of him. I remember being with her through the chemo and the bone marrow transplant and how tired and sometimes very sick. I will keep you in my prayers while you go through this process, my heart aches for anyone who has to do it. God bless you!