Sunday, March 22, 2009

Comfort and Be Comforted

These past two months my heart has been touched by the number of people who have sent me "Get Well" cards and wishes and who have been praying for me during serious illness. These well wishes and prayers remind me of 2 Corinthians 1:3-4 where Paul writes, "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so that we will be able to comfort those who are in any affliction with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God."

I think it is a true statement to say that those who have gone through suffering (of whatever kind) are able to be compassionate in a way that others might not be able. Life is full of unexpected twists and turns and each individual life will experience its own trauma and trouble. I believe that those who have suffered and have experienced the grace of God during their time of suffering are able to extend compassion and prayer towards others in a way that has been enhanced by their own experience. Their own passage through pain gives them an empathy for those in similar pain.

If that be so, then I welcome the suffering for it is a blessing of God to me. On the one hand He comforts me and on the other hand He teaches me to be of comfort to others in a way that I did not do before. And I pray that through all of this my heart will become more compassionate towards others.

As for my illness? Each day is going well, so for those friends and family who read here, thank you for your thoughts and prayers on my/our behalf.

And! Aren't we all happy to see Spring on its way! My daffodils are poking green leaves up through the ground! I so look forward to seeing them bloom within a few short days.

May your day be graced with God's good blessings.

2 comments:

Cat Rocketship said...

Isn't it amazing to see what people can do for each other? I'd never experienced it (or needed to) before this year, and now I have a very clear understanding of just how many very good people there are in my life.

Forrest said...

While reading your encouraging words, my mind was taken to the great invitation given by our precious Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.

"COME UNTO ME, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. TAKE MY YOKE upon you, and LEARN OF ME; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light" (Matthew 11:28-30).

I too am so very grateful for the understanding, compassion, and comfort offered by my family and friends...but most of all...I am thankful for my dear Lord! I know you are too.