Monday, March 23, 2009

Take It With a Grain of Salt

  • Four years ago we bought a Bosch dishwasher. Love it. Quiet. Cleans great. Best dishwasher I've ever had.
  • A month ago we received a recall notice with a warning not to use the dishwasher until it is repaired due to "risk of fire".
  • Today the replacement part arrived in the mail.
  • Got hold of the repair service first try with a real live person at the other end of the phone. Repair is scheduled for Monday.
  • All seems well so far other than I'm hand-washing for the next week. That's no big deal. There are only two of us in the household. How many dirty dishes can we generate anyway?

THEN...I used google to find an online forum of others dealing with the recall. I kid you not, the horror stories were terrible! Impossible to get Bosch online to order the part! The part didn't arrive for weeks! The repairman botched the repair!One machine even caught fire AFTER the repair! Two pages of complaints! I was getting a little anxious about it all until I recognized that for every complaint, there are probably a dozen happy customers. It's just that the unhappy ones are the ones who take the time to post a rant. The happy ones don't bother...they just go about living their lives and enjoying their still-working now-repaired dishwasher.

I think I'll take the complaints with a grain of salt. And hope by Monday night my dishwasher is happily chugging along, doing its job as usual. (She said with a roll of her eyes.)

5 comments:

Laurie M. said...

Ah those squeaky wheels! That's always a good thing to keep in mind. I'll try to remember that when I go to Amazon to buy something and read a complaint or two about a seller.

Laurie M. said...

I'm back. I thought of you, and this post, today as I listened to a show on NPR (I think it was Talk of the Nation, but I'm not sure). Anyway they were discussing the merits and drawbacks of a website for complaints about physicians. Well, I think it was for rating physicians, but really it ends up being the disgruntled who turn up. I thought about what you wrote - and all the people I've dealt with when I worked with the public (as an automotive service-writer) who were uninformed, suspicious, unreasonable, and sometimes downright mean. Some people won't listen to reason when things aren't going the way they want. People like that can destroy reputations of individuals and whole industries.

Blessings each day said...

I really like your blog and your cute sense of humor...isn't humor just so healing in so many of life's challenges?

wishing many of God's blessings on you,
marcy

cinnamongirl93 said...

I am always amazed at the dishes that pile up after one day.
I hope your helper is fixed!

Renna said...

I had a blogging friend who had a fire in her kitchen a year or so ago from a dishwasher. I'm betting it was likely the same brand. I'm not sure if recall notices had yet been sent. As I recall, the powers that be were also quite cooperative with her in getting her kitchen redone and a new dishwasher installed.

Praise God, you didn't have a fire!

One thing my friend's story impressed upon me, was to not go to bed with the dishwasher running, a habit I'd always had before that. I also don't leave the dryer running when we go to bed at night.