Thursday, March 5, 2009

Today in the Kitchen or How to Roast Garlic in the Microwave


My strength is coming back more day by day. And today was a good day in the kitchen.

We have a quantity of garlic from last year's garden and so I says to myself, "Why not roast some! I bet I could roast some in the microwave!" And, so, thanks to google, I found this site with very simple instructions to roast garlic. I didn't want to roast 4 or 5 garlic heads ... just one. To see if I really like the stuff!

I was surprised to find the roast garlic buds quite tasty. Sweet, if you please. And since garlic is supposed to enhance the immune system, I think I'll eat this often.

The procedure was quite simple. Peel off the outer papery husk. With a paring knife, trim the tip of the head (the tip of each clove). Brush with a teaspoon or so of olive oil. Place top down on paper towel in the microwave and zap approximately 1 minute. Turn the garlic right side up, and zap another minute. Let cool.

The cooked garlic is soft and can be mashed and spread on toast. Or simply pop a clove into your mouth and enjoy its sweetness.

And then, not content with this small accomplishment I put together a yummy soup chock full of veggies and a bit of chicken.

Look at the last photo. I think they should invent "scratch and sniff" for the internet, don't you?

It was a good day in the kitchen.

1 comment:

yiddle said...

ooh that looks good. i should make some of that, and then i could pack it with bread that i can toast at work to make garlic bread in a lasagna bento!