Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Some of You Will Think I Am Kitchen-Challenged

Chicken Pot PieTo look at me, a little old lady with white hair (well, I USED to have white hair before I began chemo), you would never guess at some of my life experiences. But this week was a first for me ... I made my Very First Chicken Pot Pie. And after doing so, I don't know why it took me so long!

Perhaps its because the first pot pies I experienced were those cheap foil-panned things at the grocery store. They were so disappointing that I stopped buying them decades ago. Yes, Decades. As in 30 years or more!

This week I had some leftover chicken and I LUV homemade biscuits so I followed Michael Chu's recipe over at http://www.cookingforengineers.com/ to serve up this all-American dish. My Beloved was smitten! (And he's not even an engineer!)

What I like about Chu's recipe is that the sauce is cooked from scratch using broth and milk and NOT using that cream soup in the familiar red/white label. So if you know how to toss together a simple cream sauce (aka gravy), you can put together this yummy dish.

I did notice that Chu's biscuit recipe made a more scant topping than his photo shows. Other than that? Yummy! (p.s. When baking biscuits the secret is to NOT knead the dough. Barely pat together well enough to be able to roll out on the counter top and cut. )

Changes I would make to Chu's recipe...perhaps increase the veggies by one-third. Still...superb recipe as is.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Yum. My basic pot pie also uses a made-from-scratch white sauce as the base - I actually find it easier than remembering to buy the soup.

My homemade biscuits, though, leave a lot to be desired. I will be trying this recipe!

Laurie M. said...

That looks really yummy, and very ambitious - but I've noticed you're one ambitious gal in the kitchen. I'll make a note of this recipe. I'm generally not a fan of recipes made with the red and white can.

Renna said...

I've never made pot pie before, either. I look forward to trying this recipe.

Thanks for sharing the recipe, and thanks for the tip on not kneading biscuit dough (something I did not know).

Oh, and thanks for your comment on my blog today. I LOL at your farm dog's embarrassment in thinking she wasn't going to take a good photo! ;-Þ