Wednesday, March 25, 2009

There Must Be a Buzz Factor Involved in Determining "NEWS"

I am amazed that I had never heard of this monument given in memory of the victims of 911 by the people of Russia. When national news programs broadcast and rebroadcast into perpetuity some tidbit about some Hollywood icon for weeks on end, how is it that this bit of news made such brief appearance?

The monument, officially titled "To The Struggle Against World Terrorism" was dedicated at the northeast corner of Bayonne Peninsula in New Jersey on September 11, 2006, the fifth anniversary of the attacks on the United States. You can click on "this monument" in the first paragraph or you can read a small brochure about it here.

I wonder sometimes if there is some standard, some buzz factor, that determines whether or not a national news item hits the headlines. I would be delighted if news networks would bring back the days of honest, forthright reporting and get rid of the omnipresent editorializing and sensationalism.

And continuing in that vein, I hope you will join me in refusing to click on any online news link that addresses the ongoing saga of the octomom. She alone could take up 18 years of your news reading life if you follow her/their story to adulthood.

2 comments:

Laurie M. said...

Wow. Thanks for sharing that. What an absolutely beautiful and moving tribute to such an unspeakable tragedy. It brought tears to my eyes. And, no, I'd never heard of it before, nor had my husband.

It seems the news media's main criterion these days is vitriol and outrage. They seem to be pandering to the wrath of man - which we all know does not produce the righteousness of God. I especially notice this when I click on a "news" link and find Nancy Grace (sorry to any fans of hers). It seems like she only seethes all the time. It appears that is the character she plays for the show. (I've seen interviews with her in other settings and she's very different.) And she's fairly representative of the response many news programs are after - on the radio as well. Self-righteous outrage is a favorite human emotion. I know, I'm a human. See, my dander's up already!

cinnamongirl93 said...

I had no idea that the Russian people gave us such a lovely gift. What an awesome monument. Thank you for sharing that!